Discover Italy ⇢ Apulia (Puglia)
Nestled in the southeastern corner of Italy, the captivating region of Apulia, known as Puglia in Italian, is a land of stunning landscapes, charming towns, and a rich cultural heritage. From its picturesque coastline to its historic towns and delicious cuisine, Apulia promises an unforgettable experience for every traveler.
Are you considering a visit to Apulia? Look no further! Click here to discover our All-Inclusive tour that will immerse you in the vibrant colors and flavors of Puglia
Bari, the lively capital of Apulia, boasts genuine local life, historic treasures, and a vibrant waterfront. Discover these essential destinations within the city:
• Bari Old Town: Immerse yourself in the winding streets of the historic center, where centuries of traditions come to life. Explore ancient cathedrals, charming squares, and lively markets.
• Castello Svevo: Marvel at the impressive Swabian Castle, a symbol of Bari's history and a gateway to the city's maritime heritage.
• Basilica di San Nicola: Visit this stunning church that houses the relics of Saint Nicholas, a revered figure known as Santa Claus.
Alberobello is renowned for its unique Trulli houses, distinctive cone-shaped dwellings that form a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore this enchanting town and marvel at the traditional architecture that gives the area its character.
Known as the "Florence of the South," Lecce is famous for its exquisite Baroque architecture and cultural treasures:
• Lecce Cathedral: Admire the grandeur of Lecce Cathedral and its intricate façade. Step inside to discover its ornate interiors and artistic details.
• Piazza del Duomo: Immerse yourself in the heart of Lecce at this charming square surrounded by historic buildings, including the Bishop's Palace and the Seminary.
Nestled atop a hill overlooking the Adriatic Sea, Ostuni is a picturesque town characterized by its whitewashed buildings, earning it the nickname "The White City."
The Gargano Peninsula offers natural beauty and outdoor adventures:
• Vieste: Explore the charming coastal town of Vieste, with its rocky cliffs, sandy beaches, and crystal-clear waters. Don't miss the dramatic Pizzomunno sea stack.
• Foresta Umbra: Discover the lush Foresta Umbra, a protected natural area perfect for hiking and enjoying the diverse flora and fauna.
The Salento Peninsula is known for its stunning beaches, crystal waters, and vibrant towns:
• Otranto: Visit Otranto, a town with a rich history and a stunning seaside castle. Explore its narrow streets and enjoy panoramic views.
• Gallipoli: Experience the allure of Gallipoli, a coastal town with an ancient center surrounded by the sea. Explore its historic streets and enjoy fresh seafood.
Indulge in Apulia's culinary delights, including orecchiette pasta, fresh seafood, olive oil, and local wines. Try the unique burrata cheese and immerse yourself in the flavors of the Mediterranean.
• Climate and Best Time to Visit: Apulia enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and mild winters. Spring (April to June) and fall (September to October) are ideal for pleasant weather and fewer crowds.
• Currency: Italy's currency, the Euro (EUR), is used. Credit cards are widely accepted, but it's recommended to carry some cash, especially in rural areas.
• Language: Italian is the official language. While English is spoken in tourist areas, learning a few basic Italian phrases enhances interactions with locals.
• Local Etiquette: Politeness is valued. Greet with "buongiorno" (good morning) or "buonasera" (good evening). Tipping is customary, around 10% in addition to the service charge.
• Opening Hours: Many attractions have regular hours, while smaller establishments might observe a midday break. Check opening times in advance.
• Respecting Culture: Apulia's heritage is rich, so be respectful at churches and historic sites. Dress modestly, especially when entering religious places.
Apulia's blend of history, coastal beauty, and culinary delights promises an enriching and unforgettable experience. By embracing these practical tips, you'll make the most of your journey through this captivating region.