The Soulful Heart of Emilia-Romagna
Welcome to Bologna, the gastronomic capital and cultural heartbeat of Emilia-Romagna, where history resonates through medieval archways, and the aroma of rich pasta sauces lingers in the air. Join us on a journey through the streets of Bologna, a city that seamlessly blends tradition with modernity.
A Symphony of History
• Etruscan Origins: With roots reaching back to the Etruscans, Bologna has evolved into a city of remarkable historical significance. Its strategic location along the ancient Roman road, Via Aemilia, played a pivotal role in its growth.
• Towers and Porticoes: Discover the city's iconic Two Towers, Asinelli and Garisenda, symbols of medieval Bologna. Wander through miles of elegant porticoes that line the streets, creating a unique architectural landscape.
• University of Bologna: Founded in 1088, the University of Bologna is the oldest in the world. The Archiginnasio, the university's historic building, is a treasure trove of academic history, featuring an anatomical theatre and a library adorned with centuries-old manuscripts.
• Piazza Maggiore: The beating heart of Bologna, Piazza Maggiore, is surrounded by architectural wonders. Visit the Basilica di San Petronio, a Gothic masterpiece, and the Palazzo d'Accursio, where the city's government has operated for centuries.
• Santo Stefano Basilica: Known as the Seven Churches, this complex weaves together different architectural styles across centuries, providing a captivating glimpse into Bologna's religious history.
• Neptune's Fountain: Marvel at the grandeur of the Fountain of Neptune, a masterpiece by Giambologna, standing proudly in Piazza del Nettuno.
• Bolognese Cuisine: Indulge in the city's culinary delights. Bologna is the birthplace of ragù, the rich meat sauce that is the soul of dishes like tagliatelle al ragù and lasagna.
• Mercato di Mezzo: Navigate the bustling stalls of Mercato di Mezzo, where local vendors showcase fresh produce, cheeses, and artisanal products. It's a gastronomic adventure in every bite.
• Osteria Tradition: Experience the warmth of Bolognese hospitality in its traditional osterias. Savor local wines, such as the robust Sangiovese, paired with plates of mortadella and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
• Giardini Margherita: Escape to Giardini Margherita, a sprawling park where locals and visitors alike relax amid lush greenery. Enjoy a leisurely stroll or a boat ride on the lake.
• Archiginnasio Anatomical Theatre: Step back in time in the Archiginnasio's Anatomical Theatre, an intimate space where medical students once observed dissections.
• Quadrilatero: Navigate the medieval market district, Quadrilatero, a maze of narrow streets brimming with artisan shops, bakeries, and traditional food stores.
• Mercato delle Erbe: Explore Mercato delle Erbe, a lively market offering fresh produce, meats, and regional specialties.
Events and Festivals
Plan your visit during the Cinema Ritrovato film festival or experience the lively atmosphere of the Bologna Jazz Festival.
Bologna is a city where every cobblestone tells a story and every meal is a celebration of culinary artistry. Whether you're immersed in its rich history, savoring local delicacies, or exploring hidden corners, Bologna invites you to experience the essence of Emilia-Romagna.
Come, be enchanted by the warmth of Bologna, where tradition and innovation dance hand in hand.