Gateway to the Marche Region
Welcome to Ancona, a city that beautifully blends history, culture, and stunning landscapes. Nestled on the Adriatic coast, Ancona is the capital of the Marche region, offering a captivating journey through time and tradition. Join us as we explore the rich tapestry of Ancona, from its ancient origins to its vibrant present.
• Ancient Origins: Ancona's history dates back to ancient times, with its roots reaching into the Greek and Roman eras. The city's name is believed to derive from the Greek word "ankon," meaning elbow, owing to its unique geography—a promontory that extends like an arm into the Adriatic Sea.
• Roman Influence: Under Roman rule, Ancona flourished as a crucial port and trade center. The Arch of Trajan, a majestic Roman triumphal arch, stands as a testament to the city's significance during this era. Marvel at the architecture that has withstood the test of time, offering a glimpse into Ancona's storied past.
Landmarks and Attractions
• Arch of Trajan: Built in the 2nd century AD, the Arch of Trajan is a must-visit historical landmark. Admire the intricate reliefs depicting scenes from Roman life and naval victories.
• Ancona Cathedral (Cattedrale di San Ciriaco): Perched on the Guasco hill, the cathedral offers panoramic views of the city and the Adriatic Sea. Immerse yourself in its religious and architectural significance, with elements dating back to the 11th century.
• Passetto Monumental Staircase: Wander through the narrow streets and discover the Passetto Monumental Staircase, a picturesque ascent leading to the heart of the city. Take in the charm of medieval architecture as you ascend to panoramic viewpoints.
• Monte Conero: Just a short drive from Ancona lies the Monte Conero, a regional park known for its rugged cliffs, crystal-clear waters, and lush greenery. Hike along scenic trails to reach hidden coves and enjoy breathtaking views of the Adriatic.
• Riviera del Conero: Ancona's coastline is adorned with the Riviera del Conero, offering pristine beaches such as Mezzavalle and Due Sorelle. Relax by the azure waters or explore the coastal caves for a truly immersive experience.
• Seafood Gastronomy: Ancona's coastal location ensures a delightful array of fresh seafood. Indulge in local specialties such as brodetto, a traditional fisherman's stew, and stuffed calamari. Pair your meal with a crisp Verdicchio wine, a regional favorite.
• Street Markets: Immerse yourself in the local culture by exploring Ancona's vibrant street markets. From fresh produce to artisanal crafts, these markets offer a glimpse into the daily life of the city.
Festivals and Events
• Festa del Mare: Celebrate Ancona's maritime heritage during the Festa del Mare, a lively festival featuring boat parades, music and seafood feasts. Join the locals in reveling in the city's strong connection to the sea.
Plan Your Visit
• Getting Here: Ancona is easily accessible by train, bus and ferry. The Ancona Falconara Airport serves as a gateway for international travelers.
• Accommodations: Explore a range of accommodations, from boutique hotels with sea views to cozy bed and breakfasts in the heart of the city.
• Visit in the spring or fall for pleasant weather and fewer crowds.
• Engage with locals, who are known for their warm hospitality.
Embark on a journey to Ancona, where history, culture, and natural beauty converge to create an unforgettable experience. Discover the heart of the Marche region, where every cobblestone tells a story, and every view paints a picture of a city that has stood the test of time.